Sunday, March 23, 2008

an ode to the binky


Well, I don't really know how to write an ode, so I guess this won't officially be an ode, but maybe more of a eulogy. 13 days ago, Max had to say "good-bye" to his binkies forever. Now, it's very obvious that most people don't think older children (like 2 and 3) should have binkies. They usually share their thoughts on it right away, and I was one of those people. I couldn't stand it when I saw kids talking with a binky in their mouth and told myself I'd never let my child do that. But, then that time comes, and you find yourself in a totally different spot.

As a mother, to see something so little and so harmless bring such joy to a little boy ... it's hard to break their heart and take it away. Max loved his binky... probably more than he loves his mom (just kidding). You should have seen his face when he would find a binky that had fallen behind the bed or under the couch. It was like a treasure of gold! His face would like up and he'd scream "BINKY"! When he was sad, it would comfort him; when it was bedtime, it would lull him to sleep.

But, it was time to let it go. The first two days were really hard. I won't even say who was ready to give it back to him (and it wasn't me!). It's hard to see them so sad about something. But, it's day 13 ... and he only mentions it once in awhile now. Usually in saying, "No more binky for Max" very matter-of-factly.

Bye-bye binkies. You were dearly loved. May you rest in peace.

No comments: