I'm not sure if any of you have experienced this while raising your kids, but I tell you what, God sure speaks to me about my relationship with Him through my kids! Wow ... sometimes it hits me square between the eyes. There has got to be a book out there on "Things I've Learned From My Children."
So, I figured maybe I'd share on here some of the thing I've been learning and the ways my kids inspire me to be a better child to God.
-------
Musing #1:
Yesterday, we started this chart for Grant ... he can earn stars for listening and obeying and even more stars for doing things with a happy heart, not whining or complaining when he doesn't get his way. Liz shared the idea with me about keeping a character chart, and I thought it was a great one. Seems we always have chore charts, but I loved the idea of a chart to encourage them to develop good character and reward them for that instead of continually harrassing them about doing their chores, etc., etc. It all seems to fit together.
So, Grant started the day out great ... talking nice, no whining, doing what he was asked. It was great ... I think he earned like 10 stars by lunch time. By evening, he was tired. He got to play at a friend's house all afternoon, and by the time Steve got home, he started back into the whining. It's so tiring. Even this morning, he just didn't seem as focused on his chart ... he started to lose sight of the end rewards (sleepovers, computer time, video game time, etc.).
While trying to figure out what to do to encourage him to refocus, I realized how God must feel. Here He's given us this great reward to look forward to in heaven (well, even heaven itself!!!) and only asks us to love Him, love others and love ourselves, but how quickly do I lose sight of that and spend my time worrying about myself and what I want, not what God wants and asks of me. I don't believe that doing good deeds will get me to heaven, but I definitely know that God wants us to do good things for others in His name and show His love.
And how much am I like Grant, get to spend the day doing what I want (shopping, working, etc.), so I'm too tired to really think of others, and am just pretty grouchy. How often do I do that? Toooooo much! How sad is that!
I am no different than Grant in God's eyes ... so today, I will make my own mental character chart. Hmmmm, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control ... YIKES! I've got some work ahead of me ... Good thing God is a patient God!!!
That's all for today!
No comments:
Post a Comment